Sometimes it's still hard for me to believe that my little sister is not 5! I still have this image in my head of her blonde permed pixie crop, the little pout that earned her the nickname "ducky", and how annoyed I always was that she tried to tag along. It's amazing how things change as we get older. We actually like each other now, for one! LOL. But last night really made me realize that we are all grown up (both of us being married should have done it! & she's 20 not 5!). We met as a family to have dinner together @ Gecko Grill, nothing out of the ordinary. Well except that we were meeting Greg's 1st girlfriend as a family- I was excited enough about that! We all sat around eating salsa & mingling. We figured out we wouldn't all be together for Mother's Day dinner, so Chelsea wanted Mom to open her gift tonight. She was so excited to give it to her she didn't want to wait until Sunday. I though nothing of it! She'd dropped clue's and Mom thought it was jewelry. She opened a cute little book of quotes, and a coupon book of things to do for your mom. Then she unwrapped a plastic travel toothbrush holder (still I think nothing...) as Chelsea says "Sorry there wasn't a good way to wrap it so this had to do" - Mom unwraps this thing forever as she finally gets to the inside and says "Oh- it is a toothbrush" at the same moment I GASP!! "No it's not--- it's a pregnancy test!!!" I exclaimed. LOL- our table goes CRAZY!!!!!! Lots of wows, gasps, congratulations, some tears, and laughter. It dawns on me as I get up from my seat to go hug her..... my LITTLE sister is actually going to be a MOM... whoa. Of course it takes us the rest of dinner to calm down and realize our family just changed- big time! We are now going to be an auntie, uncles, grandparents- PARENTS!!! I don't know who is more excited Chelsea, or Mom. I knew she'd be the first one to have a kid(yes I'm a chicken)- but it was such a surprise! Thanks a lot Chels- no gift I give this year will top that one! :) So that's my story... I am going to be Auntie Meg!
Congrats Chelsea & Isaac Bawden! And to your new addition- in the words of Monica, one of my beloved "Friends" characters.... "I promise, I will always have gum!"
3 comments:
What a fun way to tell the family! I became an instant aunt when I married Derrick but still think the day my brother or sisters have kids will be the best!
That is a huge life changing moment! Your family will never be the same again and in a very good way! Congrats Auntie Meg! You will LOVE it!
Oh my gosh Meg that is awesome!!! I am so excited for your family. I think that little baby is going to be SPOILED!!!! haha. I cant wait to hear when YOU are preggo:) I hope things are going good for you. I havent talked to you in a while but holy cow I have been busy with family being in town and my cousin getting married and then us being out of town. Its been crazy. But hopefully you got your email from me and you can come to my party on Friday. I would love to see you again and bring your sis and mom and mother in law or whoever! Well hopefully I will see you soon.
Post a Comment